AmeriCorps at Neighborhood House
Neighborhood House’s mission to change the life trajectory of low-income people relies on cutting-edge services to the community. It demands excellence from inspired people who are passionate about transforming the conditions of poverty. We provide high-quality programs to diverse communities with a staff of 200 representing a wide range of cultures and 43 different languages and dialects. Our team of passionate, committed, high-energy AmeriCorps members are critical to helping Neighborhood House achieve its vital mission.
We are now accepting applications for the following positions in our 2015-16 AmeriCorps team:
YOU can impact the lives of challenged youths and assist them in removing barriers in their educational journeys. Be part of a highly creative team which designs curricula and activities WITH youth and FOR youth. Your contribution may lead to one more youth attaining achievements they never thought possible. Join us!
Members in this position serve at the following locations:
- Burndale Homes, Auburn - 2 positions
- Firwood Circle, Auburn - 2 positions
- Seola Gardens, Seattle - 2 positions
High Point Teen Programs
Love to Tinker? Make? Be Outside? Neighborhood House HP Teen Programs Members help to develop under-represented middle and high school student leaders through a wide range of service- learning community projects, arts programming and STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) programming at our High Point Center. Members serving with HP Teen Programs develop curricula, facilitate youth programming, provide outreach to youth, and engage and support community partners and volunteers. This is also an exciting opportunity to be part of a National Science Foundation research grant exploring STEM programming in under-represented communities.
Members in this position serve at the following location:
- High Point, Seattle - 2 positions
Where We Serve
AmeriCorps Commitment & Benefits
In exchange for a 10.5 month term of full time National Service from 9/16/15 to 7/31/16 (44 hours/week from September to March; then 40 hours per week from April to July) Neighborhood House AmeriCorps Members receive:
- $1,195/month living stipend (taxed)
- $5,730 post-service Education Award, on successful completion of the term of service (taxed in the year that you use it)
- Bus pass or mileage reimbursement for service-related travel (Members will receive an Orca card with one-zone peak Puget Pass from September to June, then bus tickets for the last two weeks of service days in July)
- Regular AmeriCorps team meetings
- Training in leadership, communication, cultural competency, first aid/CPR certification, disaster preparedness and site-specific topics (up to 20% of the Member’s time)
- Health insurance coverage from the Washington Service Corps (or through the Washington State Health Care Plan Finder website, depending on household income) if the Member does not already have coverage
- Forbearance on qualified student loans
- Childcare assistance for eligible Members
- Eligibility for Basic Food (food stamps) and other public benefits if household meets DSHS requirements
- Review the Member position descriptions linked above. Check that you meet the minimum qualifications for each position that you would like to be considered for.
- Go to the national AmeriCorps application portal here and search for the desired listing by completing the search fields. Once you’ve located the correct listing, you can easily applyby selecting the “Apply Now” button.
- You will be prompted to create a “My AmeriCorps” account. Once your account has been created, you can continue with the online application process for this listing.
You may apply for as many of our 2015-16 positions as you are interested in, as long as you meet the minimum requirements. We will contact you by phone or email if we are able to offer you an interview.
Please note: finalists to our program must complete and pass a National Service criminal record check in order to be eligible for AmeriCorps enrollment.
Our positions will be open until filled from May to August 2015. We will update our website regularly as positions are filled.
Meet our 2014-15 AmeriCorps team!
Our 2014-15 AmeriCorps team, pictured below, has nearly completed their term of service with Neighborhood House. Read about their experiences:
See what our 2012-13 AmeriCorps team members have shared about their service experiences: