AmeriCorps at Neighborhood House
Neighborhood House’s mission to change the life trajectory of low-income people relies on cutting-edge services to the community. It demands excellence from inspired people who are passionate about transforming the conditions of poverty. We provide high-quality programs to diverse communities with a staff of 200 representing a wide range of cultures and 43 different languages and dialects. Our team of passionate, committed, high-energy AmeriCorps members are critical to helping Neighborhood House achieve its vital mission.
We are accepting applications now for the following Individual Placement AmeriCorps positions:
Employment and Education Outreach and Engagement
Are you ready to invest the next six months to an amazing social justice opportunity? Have you seen needs in your community and wanted to make a difference? This is your chance.
Neighborhood House started its roots as a Jewish Resettlement House that trained new immigrants and refugees the skills they needed to thrive. Over a century later, Neighborhood House operates multiple education and employment programs that serve several hundred individuals and families annually. These programs provide multilingual, multicultural case management and comprehensive employment search, placement, training, retention and career advancement support for job seekers throughout King County.
This new and unique AmeriCorps position will offer you the opportunity to work with people from around the globe who are committed to ending poverty in King County. The primary function of this position will be to build capacity for our existing team, make new connections in the community and facilitate regular orientations and workshops for clients.
Successful candidates will possess excellent networking skills and have the desire to learn about the employment market and the unique barriers and challenges that low-income, immigrant and/or refugee communities face. This position requires flexibility and a demonstrated ability to build relationships with individuals who may be facing stressful situations. We are seeking an individuals with a willingness to help job seekers develop life skills and job readiness skills, and collaborate with the employment team who provide case management and place those clients into jobs. can impact the lives of challenged youths and assist them in removing barriers in their educational journeys. Be part of a highly creative team which designs curricula and activities WITH youth and FOR youth. Your contribution may lead to one more youth attaining achievements they never thought possible. Join us!
Members in this position serve at the following locations:
- Birch Creek in Kent - 1 position
- Coordinate, schedule and facilitate weekly program orientations in collaboration with the employment team.
- Plan and lead interactive workshops (i.e. leadership, college pathways and job readiness) to a diverse pool of job seekers.
- Seek out innovative job search strategies and resources to incorporate into weekly job search workshops.
- Develop and build meaningful community partnerships to build sustainable recruitment and resource pipelines for future Neighborhood House clients.
- Assist with a sustainable volunteer recruitment strategy and work with local high schools to engage youth in social justice and community service projects with the agency.
- Find new and creative strategies using technology or social media to market programs and outreach to youth who could benefit from Neighborhood House’s programs.
- Work with the management team to create sustainable systems to capture employer and community resources.
- Participate in relevant education, employment or AmeriCorps trainings
- Must be between 18-25 years of age.
- College degree a plus.
- Must pass an AmeriCorps state, FBI and National Sex Offender Registry criminal records check.
- Must provide documentation of U.S. Citizen, National or Permanent Resident for AmeriCorps enrollment.
- Must have valid driver’s license and have clean driving record for clearance to drive Neighborhood House van’s for outreach.
- Must demonstrate a highly positive and enthusiastic style capable of motivating others.
- Must be able to serve as a team member in a multicultural organization and community.
- Must be self-starter, dependable, and demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and good judgment.
- Must have proficiency in the following computer programs: Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, and Word).
- Must be willing to comply with the established Neighborhood House performance standards for productivity/personal responsibility, client/customer service-orientation and professional demeanor.
- Personal experience as a low-income and/or immigrant or refugee community member living in public housing.
- Bi-lingual in Somali, Spanish, Arabic, or Tigrinya.
Where We Serve
AmeriCorps Commitment & Benefits
In exchange for a 6 month term of full time National Service from 2/1/16 to 7/31/16 (serving approximately 40 hours/week) Neighborhood AmeriCorps Members receive:
- $1,195/month living stipend (taxed)
- $2,865 post-service Education Award, on successful completion of the term of service (taxed in the year that you use it)
- Bus pass or mileage reimbursement for service-related travel
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Health insurance coverage from the Washington Service Corps (or through the Washington State Health Care Plan Finder website, depending on household income) if the Member does not already have coverage
- Forbearance on qualified student loans
- Childcare assistance for eligible Members
- Eligibility for Basic Food (food stamps) and other public benefits if household meets DSHS requirements
- Review the Member position description above. Check that you meet the minimum qualifications.
- Please note, this position is offered at the Neighborhood House Birch Creek location in Kent.
- All applications must be submitted through the national AmeriCorps application portal here.
- Once you’re on the correct listing page, you can easily apply by selecting the “Apply Now” button.
- You will be prompted to create a “My AmeriCorps” account. Once your account has been created, you can continue with the online application process for this listing.
You will receive an email from us once your application has been received. If you are chosen for an interview, we will contact you by phone or email to make arrangements. Please note: finalists to our program must complete and pass a National Service criminal record check in order to be eligible for AmeriCorps enrollment. Our position will be open until filled.
Meet our 2014-15 AmeriCorps team!
Our 2014-15 AmeriCorps team, pictured below, has nearly completed their term of service with Neighborhood House. Read about their experiences:
See what our 2012-13 AmeriCorps team members have shared about their service experiences: