Our Mission The mission of Neighborhood House is to help diverse communities of people with limited resources attain their goals for self-sufficiency, financial independence, health and community building.
Every year, Neighborhood House touches the lives of more than 13,500 adults and children through the agency's comprehensive web of social services. These include employment and adult education, community health programming, family and social services, early childhood education, transportation services and youth education.
Approximately 80% of our clientele are refugees and immigrants from around the world. The remaining 20% are African American, Alaskan Native/Native American and Caucasian. Most who access our services live at or below the federal poverty line.
Neighborhood House was founded in 1906 as "Settlement House" to provide services to Jewish immigrants arriving from all over Europe. After becoming the "Educational Center" and surviving the Great Depression, NH incorporated as an independent nonprofit agency in 1956. For the next half-century, NH has been a critical resource for low-income residents and currently operates in multiple locations throughout Seattle and King County.
For a comprehensive look at Neighborhood House through the decades, please visit our Agency History Page.
Below, Neighborhood House Executive Director Mark Okazaki discusses our High Point PROMISE initiative -- our promise to ensure that every child in High Point receives the support and quality education necessary to go to college.