Why Live Green?
The Center's Green Features
What's Up With the Solar Panels?
LEED Gold Certification
How It Works
Studies indicate that Americans spend about 85% of their time indoors, and that exposure to common products that pollute indoor air can negatively affect human health. Three common indoor pollutants include VOCs, urea formaldehyde and mold.
VOCs are Volatile Organic Compounds that are breathed in as harmful gases. They are found in a variety of common household products, including paint, adhesives, printer ink, cleaning products, cigarettes and carpets. The health effects of VOCs are linked to long-term problems such as cancer.
Urea formaldehyde is used to preserve common products such as cleaning products and building insulation. Formaldehyde releases fumes for many years, and health effects include respiratory irritation and asthma.
Mold is a fungus that can build up on surfaces such as inside ducts, vents or showers. Molds commonly trigger asthma, which affects millions of Americans.
Many features of the High Point Center aim to decrease these indoor pollutants, including the use of low-VOC paints, carpets and adhesives; a ventilation system that filters particulates out; and construction practices to keep mold and mildew from forming in the ducts and vents throughout the High Point Center.
Did You Know?
- Air pollution inside homes is often two to five times higher than outside, though we don't notice it as much.
- Walk-off mats at entrances to the High Point Center collect dirt from visitors' shoes and keep the building's indoor air cleaner.
- Neighborhood House uses green cleaners free of VOCs and urea formaldehyde to clean the High Point Center.
Leave your shoes at the door. Sweep, vacuum and dust. Buy paint, adhesives and other products that are low-VOC. Clean and wash with lemon, baking soda vinegar and non-chlorine bleach. And don't smoke.