Youth Tutoring and Resource Center Coordinator - CLOSED
Department: Education & Community Services
Reports To: Youth Tutoring Program Manager
Status: Regular, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year
Hiring Range: 16 ($18.79 to $20.85 per hour)
Location: Seola Gardens
Closing Date: March 16, 2017 or when filled
The Neighborhood House Youth Tutoring Programs help young people develop positive attitudes towards school, succeed academically and socially, and be engaged in their communities. The year-round after-school and summer program includes: project-based learning activities, homework tutoring/academic assistance; social and personal development activities; literacy development and STEM/Arts enrichment; and volunteer opportunities. Neighborhood House seeks an experienced, competent and caring person to develop and manage a comprehensive youth development program for school age youth. As Youth Tutoring Coordinator, this individual will be responsible for coordinating the operation, planning and implementation of an after-school and summer youth program. This position is located in Seola Gardens, White Center WA.
- Collaborate with Neighborhood House program staff to ensure the effective coordination of program schedules and related events for youth and families.
- Maintain key project documents and communication to support all aspects of learning center program, including periodic reports, student files and updates.
- Work closely with the Volunteer Services Manager in fulfilling reporting duties to Washington Service Corps.
- Assist with fund development for youth programs.
- Maintain a safe, respectful and engaging environment for youth and adults.
- Recruit, supervise and train assigned AmeriCorps Members in accordance with AmeriCorps and Neighborhood House performance standard.
- Recruit and train volunteer tutors, work-study and service learning students.
- Provide the learning center program volunteer staff with resources and day-to-day supervisory support necessary for them to effectively implement the program.
- Coordinate maintenance of the learning center facility and interface with the on-site property manager with KCHA.
- Develop and maintain communication with parents and families of students.
- Develop and supervise community service opportunities.
Youth Education and Social Development
- Work with youth to identify areas of interest, passion and skill development, and to support youth in developing STEM/Arts projects that showcase their learning.
- Adopt, design and implement engaging learning activities for youth.
- Foster a positive environment for all participants.
- Recruit youth and monitor attendance.
- Assess the academic and developmental needs of the youth participants.
- Track student academic achievement.
- Lead and assist in the implementation of activities and events for students, families, staff, and volunteers.
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with families, school personnel and other key partners.
- Organize and facilitate periodic field trips that promote youth learning and exploration.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- B.A. degree in education, social work or a related field.
- Two years of demonstrated coordination/management experience in a youth services, or K-12 educational setting.
- Knowledge of best practices for after-school and summer learning programs.
- Familiarity with local youth serving programs.
- Familiarity with Somali culture.
- Ability to articulate a vision about preparing youth for the future—from social, economic, cultural and personal perspectives—to partners, funders and the community.
- Highly positive and enthusiastic style capable of motivating others.
- Ability to work as a team member in a multicultural organization and community.
- Ability to supervise and lead key program staff including AmeriCorps Members, work-study students and key volunteers.
- Knowledge of key computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet, etc.).
- Some administrative experience, excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be self-starter, dependable, have strong problem-solving skills and the ability to use good judgment as necessary.
- Current First Aid certification (within 30 days of hire).
- Current CPR certification (within 30 days of hire).
- Current Bloodborne Pathogens training (within 30 days of hire).
- Child Protective Services (CPS) Training (within 2 weeks of employment).
- Current Food Handlers Permit (within 30 days of hire).
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that includes some evenings and weekends.
- Willingness to comply with established agency performance standards, which require productivity/personal responsibility, client/customer service-orientation and the maintenance of a professional demeanor.
- Must have reliable and independent transportation.
- Must pass Neighborhood House Background Check Requirement.
- Position requires Washington State bi-annual criminal background re-check.
- Teaching certificate preferred.
- Experience driving a large vehicle or transporting youth is desired
- Bilingual Somali or Ukrainian speaking ability desired but not required.
for more details about our benefits program.
Neighborhood House is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications are considered without regard to race, age, sex, color, creed, religion, disability, national origin, marital status, mental or physical handicap, sexual orientation (heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality) and expression of gender identity or any other classification protected by law. Neighborhood House encourages and gives hiring preference to current and former Head Start parents and children. We encourage people of color and residents of the communities we serve to apply.
Submit agency application along with resume and cover letter. For your convenience, we offer several ways for you to submit your completed application:
In Person or Mail to:
8:00am – 5:00pm Monday-Friday
1225 S. Weller Street, Suite 510
Seattle, WA 98144
Attn: Human Resources
For more information
Inquiries may be directed to Human Resources at (206) 461-8430 or by e-mail to email@example.com