ESL Instructor Intern
Program: Neighborhood House Technology Center at Rainier Vista
Schedule: 3 Hours/week (2, 1.5 hour classes) plus curriculum preparation, one academic semester minimum.
Location: Neighborhood House @ Rainier Vista Center, 4100 29th Ave. S, Seattle, WA 98108
BACKGROUND AND PROGRAM SCOPE:
Neighborhood House’s mission is to help diverse communities of people with limited resources attain their goals for self-sufficiency, financial independence, health and community building. Around 80% of Neighborhood House’s clients are immigrants and refugees, and for many, their limited English skills are a significant barrier to their self-sufficiency goals. Rainier Vista is located in a Seattle Housing Authority neighborhood in the Rainier Valley. Rainier Valley has been recognized as of one of the most diverse communities in the country and is home to speakers of over 50 different languages. ESL classes are in strong demand, requested by many community members who demonstrate limited English proficiency. The volunteer will work in the Technology Center at Rainier Vista. The Technology Center is a community computer center that offers basic computer classes, open lab time and ESL classes.
- Work in conjunction with the lab coordinator to provide ESL classes.
- Develop lesson plans and curriculum with progressive learning objectives that meet the needs of students and program goals.
- Obtain and utilize appropriate assessment and testing tools to determine student skill levels and needs in order to target instruction.
- Maintain timely and accurate client records and administer assessments at the beginning and end of courses to demonstrate skill gains.
- Provide learning lab-oriented and individualized, one-on-one instruction as necessary.
- Knowledge of current methodologies in teaching ELL for pre-literate and beginning ELL learners, vocational ESL and other relevant trends.
- Ability to adapt or develop and administer curriculum to varying student levels.
- Positive and enthusiastic teaching style capable of motivating others.
- Attentive to accuracy and able to oversee assessments, client files and other class data in an organized and timely manner.
- Comfortable working with limited English speaking individuals.
- Washington State Patrol Background Clearance
Serve in the most diverse area of Seattle, teaching English to immigrants and refugees, who are eager to learn, improve their English skills and engage with other students and volunteers from different cultures. This intern position is perfect for students who want to serve a diverse group of students locally, right in South Seattle.