Neighborhood House High Point Center Mobile Lab: Computer Lab Assistant
Closing Date: Ongoing, prefer a 3-6 month commitment
Location: High Point Center
Neighborhood House Programs
Since 1906, Neighborhood House has been helping diverse communities of people with limited resources attain their goals for self-sufficiency, financial independence and community building. Our services include early childhood education (including Head Start and Early Head Start), mentoring and tutoring, emergency referral services, self-sufficiency/employment classes and services (including ESL and citizenship), job placement and training, substance abuse services, transportation and outreach for the elderly and disabled, and publishing the Voice newspaper. Annually, Neighborhood House serves over 13,000 individuals, of those, 80% are refugee and immigrants.
Volunteer Lab Aides will assist the computer lab staff with creating a welcoming and supportive environment in the lab. The position will support the lab staff with daily operating procedures and lab instruction including open lab time, group and one-on-one assistance. The Lab Aide will assist with computer and educational programming in the lab. Classes will include basic computer use, Microsoft programs and other targeted classes. The Lab Aide will also be trained on all set-up, break down, and inventory procedures for equipment. The lab aide will support the staff of the technology center in their efforts to meet the needs of residents and the surrounding communities.
Training and Resident Support
- Help create a welcoming and supportive technology center for participants of all ages and cultures.
- Assist with open lab time so the lab is accessible to the community.
- Teach and guide participants in the lab on computer basics.
- Assist during lab programs or classes, with one-on-one assistance to students.
- Work one on one with participants to address their individual computer needs.
- Help increase technology, job, and language skills for lab users.
- Assist low income residents to become aware of community resources, such as social services, health, legal and more.
- Ensure that all lab users sign in before using lab equipment.
- Work with lab staff to consistently enforce lab rules.
- Assist with giving out lab questionnaires and surveys on a weekly basis.
Administration, Collaboration and Technology Support
- Assist with implementing lab questionnaires on a weekly basis.
- Ensure that all lab users (open lab time, classes and programs) sign in before using lab equipment and that a Neighborhood House Enrollment Form has been completed by the user.
- Assist with set up, break down procedures and inventory of Mobile Lab equipment.
- Assist in enforcing operating procedures and rules for the Technology Center, with youth, adults, programs and the larger community.
Preferred but not required:
- Prior experience working with limited English-speaking individuals and youth.
- Experience with MS Office software programs and Windows 7 desktop and capacity to train others on using both.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including responsiveness, providing one-on-one assistance and competence communicating with ethnically and culturally diverse students as well as limited English-speaking individuals.
- Highly positive and enthusiastic style capable of motivating others.
- Ability to work as a team member in a multicultural organization and community.
- Willingness to comply with established agency performance standards, which require productivity/personal responsibility, client/customer service-orientation and the maintenance of a professional demeanor.
- Flexible work hours.
- Independent and reliable transportation.
Thank you and welcome to Neighborhood House!