Volunteer tutor -- Auburn, Wash.
Title and number of volunteer positions:
Elementary Tutor, 5 openings
Middle/ High School Math and Language Arts Tutor, 4 openings
Mondays to Thursdays only
3:15-4:45 pm (K-5th grade) OR 5:00-6:30pm (6th-12th grade)
Able to commit at least once or twice per week throughout school year.
Location: Auburn Youth Tutoring & Resource Center 1723 K St NE, Auburn WA98002
BACKGROUND AND PROGRAM SCOPE:
Homework assistance and academic skill-building are provided to ensure students are not only completing homework effectively but are also learning concepts and skills. Social and Interpersonal skills are taught and modeled to students through various creative activities. We also engage students in a project-based learning model to explore a world of possibilities. Some of the projects students have enjoyed are watercolor-painting, baking and playwriting. Volunteers are needed to supervise and interact with the students during all activities.
- To assist effectively in homework completion through discussing and instruction, rather than giving the answers
- To lead with provided materials in building academic skills
- To lead small group activities during social skill-building and project-based learning session
- Look for and utilize teachable moments to role-model and mentor students
- Occasionally to chaperone during field trips
- To be familiar in subject areas to provide quality homework assistance and academic skill-building
- To be able to multi-task and help several students at a time
- Enthusiastic, friendly and positive
- Able to take initiative and problem-solve appropriately and professionally, if needed
- To help with tasks associated with daily space setup and shut-down
Here is a chance to make a meaningful difference in the community while having fun. Share your passion for education and enrichment with students from low-income areas. Inject the drive in them to succeed academically, interpersonally and socially today!