English and Citizenship Tutor
BACKGROUND AND PROGRAM SCOPE: At several of our NH sites, we offer free courses in Citizenship and ESL. The classes run 2-3 hours per session meeting 2 or 4 times per week, depending on the program. Our students are immigrants and refugees from many parts of the world. They seek to improve their English skills in reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Some students request additional tutorial time to assist them in areas of personal needs.
RESPONSIBILITIES: A good volunteer experience rests heavily on the clarity of roles and responsibilities. Expect to do some or all of the following:
- Practice pronunciation and reading of vocabulary with students during tutoring
- Review, explain, assist in completion of worksheet assignments
- Assist teachers in the classroom with lower level students in lesson comprehension
- Offer conversation practice with students during tutoring
QUALIFICATIONS: Experience with the following is not mandatory but appreciated:
- Experience tutoring different age groups
- ESL tutoring or teaching experience
- Experience working with people of varying ethnicities, religions, income status
- A kind, patient personality
RECRUITMENT DESCRIPTION: These classes we offer are attended by some really good people. It is a fun, rewarding experience teaching ESL and Citizenship classes. Someone who would want to volunteer in this role is an individual who likes to work with people, enjoys teaching different subjects, likes languages, likes to work in a classroom setting, and finds that a happy smile of comprehension is one of the greatest rewards of all.