ESL Instructor, High Point Family Center
BACKGROUND AND PROGRAM SCOPE
Neighborhood House exists to help diverse communities of people with limited resources attain their goals for self-sufficiency, financial independence and community building. This ESL Program is a service provided through the High Point Family Center, which strives to implement programming that meets the needs of families living in the West Seattle community.
For non-English speaking parents in West Seattle there are significant barriers keeping them from engaging with their children. Youth enrolled in Seattle Public Schools tend to speak better English than their parents, yet need help with homework, as well as assistance in navigating the school system. Immigrant parents of youth enrolled in Seattle Public Schools may also lack reliable language skills in communicating with teachers. These barriers manifest in ways that ultimately keep parents from fully accessing their children’s experience at school, with peers, decision making, and other crucial developmental stages in which parents need to be invested. This volunteer role would be working directly with parents in this community to improve their English skills.
- Facilitating class and helping to create activities and/or lesson plans for students
- Helping students with dictation, pronunciations, conversation and responding to questions
- Commitment to helping immigrant and refugee people succeed
- Ability to tutor in basic English language and conversation
- Interest in other cultures
- Patience and positive attitude
- Experience in a classroom and with basic teaching skills
- Positive group dynamic and tangible successes
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Classes are fun and encourage people to become more engaged in their community
We are seeking volunteers who can commit to this program through the Fall 2017. Support is needed at the following times and locations:
Tutor people learning English one-on-one or in small groups, creating a meeting time that works with your schedule. Classes will be held at Neighborhood House High Point.
Support the lead facilitator of our already established ESL program by attending class with students and providing one-on-one support during the ESL classes at:
- Roxhill Elementary: Tuesday and Thursday, 12:30-2:00 p.m.
- Highland Park Elementary School: Monday and Wednesday, 12:30-2:15 p.m.
Anyone interested in this opportunity should submit a Volunteer Inquiry Form. Once received, you will be contacted by the volunteer team with more details.