Neighborhood House has a long history of service to the public housing and low-income communities of Seattle and King County. Our mission is to help diverse communities of people with limited resources attain their goals for self-sufficiency, financial independence and community building.
The Voice is a 16-page newspaper published monthly by Neighborhood House in cooperation with the Seattle and King County public housing authorities. We cover community events and issues of concern to immigrants, low-income individuals and residents of public housing. The reporting/photography intern will become an integral part of the Voice staff by writing stories and/or taking photographs for each issue. Interns work directly with clients and community members, conducting interviews and preparing stories.
Depending on the intern's skill set, responsibilities may include:
- Writing stories for each issue, including features, investigative articles and profiles of people, programs and services.
- Taking photos to accompany articles or stand-alone, feature photos that depict life in public housing communities.
- Helping with editing and newspaper layout.
- Working with the editor to develop story ideas.
- Demonstrated reporting and/or photography skills.
- Excellent oral communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to commit 10-15 hours per week.
- Access to a vehicle is helpful, but not required.
This intern will work directly with the editor of the Voice.
Interns will gain experience producing content for a high-quality publication dedicated to the concerns of the public housing communities of Seattle and King County. Hours are flexible (afternoons, evenings and weekends possible). This position is unpaid but academic credit is available.
For more information, please contact Voice Editor Tyler Roush at 206-461-8430, ext. 227 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information about volunteering at Neighborhood House, please contact the volunteer coordinator at 206-461-8430, ext. 255 or by e-mail at email@example.com. You can also read Volunteering at Neighborhood House.