Temporary Youth Tutoring and Activities Assistant
Department: Education & Community Services
Reports To: Youth Tutoring and Resource Center Coordinator
Status: Temporary, 30 hours per week, up to 2 months
Hiring Range: 05 ($14.16 to $15.73 per hour)
Locations: Burndale, Firwood, and Seola Gardens
Closing Date: June 26th, 2018, or until filled
The Youth Tutoring and Activities Assistant is responsible for supporting the Youth Tutoring Coordinator in summer to provide school-age youth with summer meals, summer retention, social and personal development activities, literacy development and arts enrichment. This involves working independently with individual or groups of youth. The Assistant will aid the Coordinator to ensure the summer program and meal initiative, together with all its summer programming components, to meets the program’s goals and objectives. This will involve working independently and/or in a team.
These position will be situated in the Seola Gardens Youth Tutoring Center in White Center, WA, the Burndale Youth Tutoring Center in Auburn, WA, the Firwood Circle Tutoring Center in Auburn, WA and the STUDIO program at High Point, WA.
At Neighborhood House we have a deep commitment to our employees’ and client’s diverse experiences and backgrounds that guides our work for a more equitable future. We are seeking a team member that represents our dedication to service, equity and inclusion, to join our diverse team.
- Assists with preparation and delivery of activities, lessons and materials for summer 2018 programming, spanning academic, enrichment and social-emotional topics.
- Outreaching and publicizing meal opportunities in the community to attract and maintain children (0-18 years of age).
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of the center before, during and after programs.
- Assist with the summer lunch programs. May assist, and at times lead in serving summer lunches and snack, including the provision of appropriate mealtime activities.
- Assists students with STEAM learning activities.
- Assists students with enrichment activities, utilizing the project-based learning model.
- Assists with occasional off-site field trips and community service projects.
- Monitors computer lab and assists with technology-related projects.
- Acts as a positive role model to youth, ranging from K-12th grades.
- Maintains a safe, respectful, and engaging learning environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be a self-starter, reliable, and use good judgment.
- Communicate effectively and clearly both verbally and in writing at all times.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule as needed.
- Ability and commitment to be a good role model.
- First Aid Certification (within 30 days of hire).
- CPR Certification (within 30 days of hire).
- Child Abuse and Neglect training (within 2 weeks of hire).
- Must pass Neighborhood House's background check requirements.
- Position requires Washington State bi-annual criminal background re-check.
- Experience working with children and youth preferred, but not required.
- Experience in creating and facilitating programs for K-12th grade students.
for more details about our benefits program.
Neighborhood House is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications are considered without regard to race, age, sex, color, creed, religion, disability, national origin, marital status, mental or physical handicap, sexual orientation (heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality) and expression of gender identity or any other classification protected by law. Neighborhood House encourages and gives hiring preference to current and former Head Start parents and children. We encourage people of color and residents of the communities we serve to apply.
Submit agency application
along with resume and cover letter. For your convenience, we offer several ways for you to submit your completed application:
In Person or Mail to
8:00am – 5:00pm Monday-Friday
1225 S. Weller Street, Suite 510
Seattle, WA 98144
Attn: Human Resources
For more information
Inquiries may be directed to Human Resources at (206) 461-8430 or by e-mail to email@example.com